Re: [livecode] family tree of languages for live coding

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 01:02:40 +0100

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 07:33:39PM +0000, Konstantinos Vasilakos wrote:
> Hello there, I would like to ask if there is a list to track down the
> evolution of the languages for live coding, for example Kuivila used
> Forth, and there was Lisp as well, is there any tree of family of the
> languages for live coding?

Mostly I think livecoding languages borrow from regular languages. For
example ChucK borrows a lot from Java and Supercollider from
Smalltalk. The big exception is that basically everything has a debt
to MusicN/CSound.

Within the livecoding world the one case of clear influence I know
about is that Fluxa started as "near miss", being a "primitive homage
to SuperCollider". If we look at the actual syntax we could argue that
it is exposing the "lispy" aspects of SC more than actually borrowing
from it, but the influence was at least there as a inspiration, I
think.

We could also theorise that all of them borrow a lot from the
principles used in analogue modular synths, which in turn borrow from
the old analogue computer systems. This might be a interesting angle
for somebody to analyse as I am really not aware of any other influence
of the analogue style of computing on "normal" text-based languages.

I realise I am not helping here and am instead making the problem
bigger than the already daunting task of tracing linguistic influences
but I hope my speculation is still of at least some value.

Yours,
Kas.