Re: [livecode] SGLC, laptop ensemble + real-time music notation

From: <andrew_at_moso.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:12:13 +1000 (EST)

Hi Jason, This is great. I played around with the idea of livecoding a full "orchestra" a couple of years back (https://vimeo.com/2579694) and at the time I thought about how great it would be to have the output rendered in real-time (a bar ahead maybe) as CPN for a real orchestra to perform. I never got around to implementing the CPN rendering but I'm excited to see you trying it. I remember Andrew Brown doing something similar with jMusic sometime back - not livecoded but real-time generative straight to CPN for musicians to play off little LCD "music stands". Cheers, Andrew. This is great stuff and something that I've been wanting to try for ages (li -----Original Message----- From: "Jason Freeman" <mail_at_jasonfreeman.net> Sent: Wednesday, 6 June, 2012 4:00am To: livecode_at_toplap.org Subject: [livecode] SGLC, laptop ensemble + real-time music notation All: Wanted to let you know about some recent work from my lab at Georgia Tech on laptop ensemble and real-time music notation. We hesitate to call it live coding (and thus I post it to this list with some hesitancy), since it's not a Turing-complete language by any means, but I nevertheless think its of interest and relevance to this list. In SGLC, laptop musicians use the LOLC textual performance interface to create, share, borrow, and transform musical motives based on a collection of pre-composed score fragments. As the laptop players create these motives, they are displayed on computer monitors as real-time music notation that instrumental musicians must sight-read during the performance. This unusual setup encourages all of the musicians to share their musical ideas with each other, developing an improvisational conversation over time. SGLC web page: http://www.jasonfreeman.net/sglc/ [performance video + score] LOLC software environment: http://www.jasonfreeman.net/lolc/ [software download + score / video of the electroacoustic-only version of the environment] NIME 2012 publication on SGLC: http://distributedmusic.gatech.edu/jason/publications/pdf_files_of_publications/sglc_nime_2012.pdf Enjoy! --Jason -- Jason Freeman Associate Professor, School of Music College of Architecture Georgia Institute of Technology http://www.jasonfreeman.net