[livecode] SGLC, laptop ensemble + real-time music notation

From: Jason Freeman <mail_at_jasonfreeman.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:00:58 -0400

All:

Wanted to let you know about some recent work from my lab at Georgia Tech on laptop ensemble and real-time music notation. We hesitate to call it live coding (and thus I post it to this list with some hesitancy), since it's not a Turing-complete language by any means, but I nevertheless think its of interest and relevance to this list.

In SGLC, laptop musicians use the LOLC textual performance interface to create, share, borrow, and transform musical motives based on a collection of pre-composed score fragments. As the laptop players create these motives, they are displayed on computer monitors as real-time music notation that instrumental musicians must sight-read during the performance. This unusual setup encourages all of the musicians to share their musical ideas with each other, developing an improvisational conversation over time.

SGLC web page: http://www.jasonfreeman.net/sglc/ [performance video + score]

LOLC software environment: http://www.jasonfreeman.net/lolc/ [software download + score / video of the electroacoustic-only version of the environment]

NIME 2012 publication on SGLC: http://distributedmusic.gatech.edu/jason/publications/pdf_files_of_publications/sglc_nime_2012.pdf

Enjoy!