Re: [livecode] online toy live coding environment

From: Charlie Roberts <bigbadotis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:02:45 -0700

In Gibber I went with using samples for timing, but also provide
variables that store the number of samples for particular metric
values. So, _4 is a variable storing the number of samples in a
quarter note, _8 in an eighth note, _23 in a 23rd(?) note etc. That
way users can use beat synchronized timings if they like, but are also
free to use arbitrary sample values. I'm not entirely sure I'm going
to stick with this approach, but I thought I'd mention it.

An approach I think might be better (and that I might move to) would
be to always assume a metric multiplier in functions that accept a
time parameter, but also provide simple functions that convert
arbitrary sample or ms values to the appropriate metric multiplier
given the current bpm.

So, in pseudo-code:

note( "A4", 1 ); // play a whole note
note( "A4", 1/16 ); // play a sixteenth note
note( "A4", ms(1000) ); // play a note that lasts a second
note( "A4", samp(3153) ); // play a note that lasts 3153 samples

Just brainstorming out loud... - Charlie