Re: [livecode] online toy live coding environment

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 23:22:15 +0200

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 09:05:43PM +0100, Davide Della Casa wrote:
> Trying to think if there is also a simple way to allow the visual and audio
> tempo to be disjoint if one doesn't want them tied by a multiplier. If that's
> even useful, not sure.

Well, if they are two static tempos with two periods then these
periods will always have some ratio. When that ratio is .25, 1 or 4
then you may get nice techno with matching VJ images. When the ratio
is -say- Pi, e or the square root of 2 then it may take some time
before they line up again.

Seems sensible to me, though we very quickly run into how Java
represents clean fractions internally. Ratios like 8/3 may be pleasing
(or at least more interesting than the very straightforward powers of
2) but how long they stay "in sync" may depend on your floatingpoint
implementation and how you deal with periods internally.

As a conceptual strategy I think it's sound but the $badguy may be in
the details (and quite often he's in the floatingpoint standard! ;-) )

As a final thought; I found that how boring short loops and simple
ratios in live performance systems are depends a great deal on how
easy it is to modify these loops while they run. There I found that
having a "undo" function helps a lot, even if I think the "undo"
option is elsewhere ruining music and DAC's would be much better
without them.

Yours,
Kas.