Re: [livecode] live coding of consequence

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 21:59:22 +0100

On 2 December 2011 11:50, Click Nilson <clicksonnil_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> MIT Press allows sharing of an article now after six months, so here is a
> link where you can get a PDF of the article in the subject above ; )
> http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/nc81/research.html#journals
>
> It's a review and framing of live coding for the Leonardo arts community,
> with some discussion of live coded choreography experiments in particular.
> Might be of interest to some.

Nice overview. If I can give some critique; though you never say explicitly
that the named examples are interpreted languages in a few spots you talk
about those, then list some systems and it sounds a bit like those are all
interpreted. I think that some of those are instead using (just in time)
compilation or a mixture of both.

IMHO this is relevant because livecoding has some quite unusual demands;
code will be re-structured yet there are also serious demands about
realtime performance. Admittedly those factors are primarily of a
technology-focussed interest while the article focusses on usage and
culture instead, but that does make me curious why the interpreted nature
of some systems was mentioned a few times. It seemed a bit as though you
wanted to hint at a translation between what we think and the stuff going
on inside of the computer? In that sense all computer code is a
interpretation and I quite like that perspective.

That's my only small issue though; it's a great overview of how diverse the
field is and it maintains a nicely playful attitude. I hope it's inviting.

Thanks,
Kas.