Re: [livecode] casting code

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 23:23:34 +0100

On 14 September 2011 22:22, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.castingcode.tv/
>
> Not working and extremely low on details but it seems related to our thing.
> So related in fact that the term "live coding" is used. From what I can tell
> the focus is on a educational scenario, not on a expressive one and there is
> no info on whether sound is supported, but this could potentially become
> interesting.

Yes definitely, thanks Kas. This is going around too:
  http://gun.io/blog/what-i-learned-from-watching-notch-code/

Interesting because some parts describe what we would call live coding:

"When building the engine, Notch wrote a function which would
continuously pan the camera around and clip through the walls and keep
the view on top, so he could make changes to the code and see the
effects they made in real time."

And other parts are the opposite:

"'Prelude of the Chambered' takes about 10-15 minutes to play through
if you know what you're doing, and Notch played through the whole game
every time he made a change. "

[Seriously, I think Notch is at the top of his game.]

I think in general "Live coding" in this context means just coding
while some people are watching, rather than with live language, in
which case both approaches meet this definition.

http://yaxu.org/