Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 16:08:28 +0100

On 6 July 2011 15:50, nescivi <nescivi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually wondering why this hardware would be specifically for women?
> Is there a difference?
>
> With the LilyPad product line, I can see how it would appeal to a certain
> audience that is attracted to sewing, which traditionally (be it from social
> conventions or otherwise) is more done by women than by men.
>
> However, why this pacduino would be more for women than for men escapes me...
>
> But then these gender issues around technology often escape me.

:) Well I said that half jokingly, I haven't really stolen technology
from a secretive female world. MzTEK is a group of women doing events
mostly just for women, just to encourage women into the digital arts
which is otherwise mostly populated by men. It seems to be working,
in that they are filling workshops with women whereas normally
workshops on these topics would have a low proportion or no men.
However I think there has been some opposition to the concept of MzTEK
from both women and men.

Anyway EunJoo wanted to do a workshop and MzTEK was a great
opportunity which happened to be a women's group, and so she made
pacduino for that. Pacduino isn't really designed as a platform for
women and I probably shouldn't have said it was. I think there's
something interesting about the tables turning a bit here though.

http://yaxu.org/