Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: Dan S <danstowell+toplap_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:06:54 +0100

2011/7/5 alex <alex_at_lurk.org>:
> On 4 July 2011 23:06, Andrew Sorensen <andrew_at_moso.com.au> wrote:
>> Something that aa-cell used in the early days were *live* symbols fed from
>> MIDI controllers.  You could type one of these *live* symbols into your code
>> to stream live midi information from a controller (we used to use
>> BCR2000's).  This was useful for both continuous (feeding synth params) and
>> more discrete (pitch ranges for chord generation) actions.  I think AB still
>> does this a bit but I haven't bothered for quite a few years now.  Not
>> really sure why.
>
> This sounds really good, so it's interesting that you discarded it...
> I wonder how Dan (Stowell) feels about beatbox livecoding, Dan if
> you're watching do you feel that you can beatbox and live code without
> breaking the Flow?  Can you do both at the same time?  I imagine
> coding and extended voice are competing for the same cognitive
> resources..

No, not competing for the same cognitive resources, but the same
cognitive budget. I can do both at the same time only because both
involve plenty of "automatic" actions made of little patterns of
operations (e.g. typing out a little array doesn't take much
concentration once you've decided you're going to do it).

A livecoder might give up using a midi controller for filter sweeps
because it takes their hands away from the keyboard, but maybe not if
the controller is something else like a head-tilt-sensor?

Dan