Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:48:15 +0100

On 4 July 2011 23:06, Andrew Sorensen <andrew_at_moso.com.au> wrote:
> Something that aa-cell used in the early days were *live* symbols fed from
> MIDI controllers.  You could type one of these *live* symbols into your code
> to stream live midi information from a controller (we used to use
> BCR2000's).  This was useful for both continuous (feeding synth params) and
> more discrete (pitch ranges for chord generation) actions.  I think AB still
> does this a bit but I haven't bothered for quite a few years now.  Not
> really sure why.

This sounds really good, so it's interesting that you discarded it...
I wonder how Dan (Stowell) feels about beatbox livecoding, Dan if
you're watching do you feel that you can beatbox and live code without
breaking the Flow? Can you do both at the same time? I imagine
coding and extended voice are competing for the same cognitive
resources..

What other techniques do live coders try and discard? I remember Ade
and I making an elaborate protocol for our processes to share
high-level compositional parameters (complexity, disorder etc) but in
practice it has no use, better for the humans to be in charge of this
kind of musical sync perhaps.

http://yaxu.org/