Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:26:18 +0200

Alex;

So I'm wondering what other people think the future directions in live
> coding might be. Any thoughts/ideas? Anyone doing anything new that
> they'd like Newcastle to know about? :) I will credit appropriately
> of course.

I've been toying with functions that generate simple patterns that can be
stacked on top of each other, with the result being quantised to a scale for
generating melodies; I'm a bit tired for now of doing too much based on
modulo and random stuff. This will probably edge towards writing more
utility stuff based on traditional musical theory. Tests are good fun
because I know very little about scales and theory so the results end up
surprising me.

I've also been experimenting more with generating both visuals and music
from a single sequencing function. The results are promising but to avoid
clogging the 3d scene I'll need some sort of "temporary 3d object" that is
removed again with little overhead while performing. That has been running
into bugs.

One future direction that is exciting to me is generating a (traditional)
musical score in real time based on code. Part of that experiment will have
to be the ability to write melodies that are sufficiently interesting to get
a musician who can sight-read interested in the project... :-). Sync could
be accomplished using a interface like karaoke or games like Guitar Hero
use.

Kas.