Re: [livecode] live coding

From: <listas_at_jesusgollonet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:46:55 -0800

Hey!

I've been also lurking here for what feels like forever (2005?). I started
with chuck because coming from a C++ish background it felt more natural,
but the fact that it was falling into abandonware-ish land, plus a desire
to get more into dynamic languages and some incredible JITLib examples got
me into supercollider 2 or 3 years ago.

I haven't livecoded in front of an audience, but I've tried very shortly
to improvise with musicians playing drums, guitar... I'm definitely not at
the point where I can be fluent enough to interact with them, but that's
something I'd really like to push.

Anyway, each time I play supercollider I'm kind of livecoding, as I use it
in a very exploratory, change-this, adjust-that, what-if way.

Nowadays I'm not coding very much music-wise, but still think it's (well,
in my case "can be") an approach that really resonates with me. So I can
see myself still lurking here in the years to come.

Cheers,
Jesus

> Hi all,
> Sorry I'm late as well. I enjoy livecoding, in fact I have no idea how
to do a performance in any other way :) I often perform with Alex and
Ade in slub and have recently started trying some things with Till
Bovermann (so there are at least two of us in Helsinki). I work with
Gabor Papp on Fluxus, although not nearly as much as I'd like to at the
moment.
> I'm currently interested in the connections between livecoding and
machinima (making films in realtime with game engines) and designing
strange languages and environments specifically for livecoding. I
encourage all livecoders to try designing their own languages!
> The act of programming to me currently seems inconsistent, downright
broken and primitive compared to what might be possible. I have a hope
that things we do surrounding livecoding could maybe contribute to
fixing this situation and make computation more malleable for everyone
involved.