Re: [livecode] new TOPLAP home page

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 23:14:10 +0100

Alex;

> I've been meaning to have a go at clearing up the TOPLAP homepage a
> bit. Here's a first go, if you have an idea of how to improve it/add
> to/streamline it please go ahead:
> http://toplap.org/index.php/New_Main_Page

Great! Unlike the old one this has structure so that's a step up already.

For further improvement I'd like to suggest starting with some debate on the
opening paragraph, which I'd argue is one of the most important parts of the
site, for a practice as niche as ours currently is;

*TOPLAP exists to promote what has come to be known as 'Live Coding', the
writing and modifying of rules while they are followed. This includes
improvising music and/or video, either to perform before an audience, or to
conduct exploratory research.*

All of that is true, of course, It's quite exhaustive too... but I wouldn't
say this paragraph is a friendly and inviting one. To me this paragraph
doesn't convey the "a bit of danger is fun" feeling that makes performing
and watching performances exciting. What if we'd cut back slightly on being
complete and would start with something a bit more fun in a sort of "bold
yet friendly" way?

I feel a bit bad about suggesting this yet not offering a start right now
but my brain doesn't seem in top-form tonight. Maybe somebody else feels
like that, or maybe I'm just plain wrong.

Yours,
Kas.