Re: [livecode] live coding

From: nescivi <nescivi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 01:03:22 +0100

On Saturday 19 February 2011 22:25:37 Josh Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:38 AM, nescivi <nescivi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > after wondering why there were so many new emails in my livecode folder,
> > I checked it out, and found that everyone was introducing himself (am I
> > right in seeing that it's only men thus far who have introduced
> > themselves?).
>
> hi! full disclosure - I'm male. I find the topic of the difference
> between the genders very interesting...now that you mention it, I too
> have noticed that there are very few, if any, females that have
> introduced themselves. assuming that you are a woman, I'd love to
> hear your opinions on why this is the case...

my guess is that we are a minority in any case; though there are a few more
female live coders as far as I know... or maybe they have moved on. I'm not
even sure they are on this list.

Programming as a whole is still a field dominated by men; I've read that
sexual discrimination or harassment is also a reason that on some continents
women don't enjoy going to (open source) computer/software conferences.

In Linux Audio I've met quite few female coders; there's been quite some talks
there where I seemed to be the only woman in the crowd.
On a count a friend of mine made amongst the ones he knew, he only came up
with a handful, of which one had had her training as computer scientist as a
man.

On a larger scale, I guess it is a misconception of our society that supports
the idea that technology is too complicated and hard for women, and that women
should play with dolls and men with machines.

On the upside, I find that the ones that are active in similar fields tend to
get somewhat more involved in social aspects.. or maybe that's just me.

Another observation of mine is that there tend to be more women combining
voice and electronic music than men. (and then again, I'm not one of these
women).

But then again, I only speak from my own experience, I have by no means delved
into feminist literature about this topic.

sincerely,
Marije