Re: [livecode] live coding

From: Andy Fischer <andy.fischer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:36:26 -0800

Hey gang. This is a fun thread.

I'm a coder working in silicon valley. I have that disease where, whenever I
sit down to try to complete a creative work, I end up spending the whole
time improving my tools instead.

So as one might predict, I've been writing a programming language. It's
designed specifically for live coding and it's called Circa. (you might
recognize it from the screencast I made last year). I'm still chugging along
on this project - it's been taking a lot longer than I expected to get it to
a releasable state. But, I'm pretty sure that it will be an awesome and mind
blowing system when it is all done.

Anyway, some of the improvements that I've made since the screencast last
year are:

- Functions can return multiple outputs
- Parser uses significant indentation instead of the 'end' keyword to tell
when a block ends (like Python)
- Recursion now works
- Other refactoring to eventually make optimizations and JIT compilation
easier

The source code (and some meager docs) are here if you're interested is at
https://github.com/andyfischer/circa

Andy