Re: [livecode] live coding

From: Adam Smith <adam_at_adamsmith.as>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:19:50 -0800

Hey TOPLAP,

I'm Adam. I'm 27, I live in Santa Cruz, California, USA, and I'm dying
to know who on this list wrote answer for the "What's the difference
between generative music and live coding?" question on the toplap faq
page. You know, the one with this juicy snippet?

"""Generative music is about sowing seeds, comparable with genetic
modification; altering DNA, putting the DNA in eggs, and watching it
grow to see/hear the effects. In contrast, live coding is more about
piecing animals together from scratch in the womb, splicing different
live animals together, modifying their DNA while they're still
growing, then experimenting with different ways of slaughtering them
to get the best audio/visual/aromatic effects."""

As someone who is deeply interested in generative music/art/games
(random voxel art scaling algorithm demo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rndmcnlly/tags/voxpander/), that metaphor
with the animals really conveys the step up in wonder I have between
generative stuff and livecoding. My context free music language was an
attempt at making a new kingdom of life uniquely adapted for run-time
s/laughter and resplice (https://github.com/rndmcnlly/cfml/wiki),
though it seems the space of expressible creatures is relatively
limited.

Once upon a time, I tried capturing the steps I took while livecoding
as a written narratives
(http://toplap.org/index.php/User:Adamsmith#.22bilingual_livecoding.22),
but I didn't keep it up.

Echoing Kas' comments skill/competition vs enjoyment, I've had the
best luck with getting friends to dabble in livecoding, not by showing
them recordings of the Best, but by getting them involved in any sort
of livecoding practice right away. Here's one creation from a night of
using ChucK and impromptu to hook various strange input devices to
various sounds with friends who had never livecoded before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhDeYxhnKkY

Enjoy!

Adam