Re: [livecode] time sync in live coding workshops

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:07:09 +0000

Hi Craig.

On 10 February 2011 12:02, Craig Latta <craig_at_netjam.org> wrote:
>     What's missing from netclock (ptpd version)? Sorry for the
> rudimentary question, I haven't looked at netclock in detail yet.

Not a lot -- it works great with supercollider and I've made a haskell
client that works nicely for my needs.

It actually runs separately from ntpd or ptpd though. You run one of
those to sync the operating system clocks with each other, and then
netclock just uses the system clock as a reference when passing bpm
changes etc around.

So I guess desired features are:
* Moving the reference clock sync into a single protocol (like the
Mandelbots seem to have already done)
* Not having to start up a server by hand, but instead clients
automatically run as a server if there are no servers already (with
some mechanism to replace the server if it crashes out). I imagine
there are standard ways of doing this, actually it's the way ptpd
works.
* And the big one - more clients! PD, Max, Impromptu, Fluxus, etc, etc

http://yaxu.org/