[livecode] time sync in live coding workshops

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:29:57 +0000

Hi all,

I'm guessing this is something already been done before many times,
but I spent a bit of time ahead of a live coding workshop making sure
everything was perfectly in time sync. We did the first bit on
headphones, while I took people through the various functions in
Tidal/Text. Then when they got the hang of it plugged in mini
speakers to each machine. It was nice to start with, then a mess when
too much was going on at once, then it got really nice when everyone
seemed to relax a bit and concentrate on simple effects... With the
lights off it was like a small rave where everyone was programming.
Seven people making acid techno in perfect harmony. A quick video is
up here: http://yaxu.org/workshop-output/

Some tech details -- I used netclock by the way
(http://netclock.slab.org/). I had problems with ntpd, it was taking
a long time to get in sync despite iburst being on, so I quickly
switched over to ptpd and things were perfect. All the machines were
different, but the sync sounded dead on. Making sure they all had the
same jackd settings was crucial, but individual soundcard latency was
not a factor.

It would still be nice getting a standard + simple to use way of
syncing across live coding environments. Maybe Andrew's new extempore
project could give a needed push in this direction?

cheers

http://yaxu.org/