Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: Tom Lieber <tom_at_alltom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:12:21 -0800

A couple things:

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Tom Lieber <tom_at_alltom.com> wrote:
> 'Course for Mac-toting judges, there's always this:
>
>  http://xiph.org/quicktime/
>
> I have only good experiences with xiph software.

I have to take this back. I tried to use that codec to play Theora
videos in Quicktime Player, but it stalled my computer instead. I
guess it's not compatible with OS X 10.6.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes and although I don't want to quote him out of context, it wasn't
>> implied, Pierre was quite explicit in saying he thought all free
>> software was buggy and time wasting.
>
> Really? That does make one wonder how he makes his music (assuming he does).
> I suppose you could say that CS SC PD and CK are all crap and that now you
> are going to implement your own thing in assembler on a Cray.... but that
> would mean finding a closed source assembler (do modern ones exist?). Maybe
> I've gone out of touch with the rest of the world but this is getting a bit
> surreal to me.

I think it's funny that if the rules were the opposite and required
the use of an open format like OGG, it would probably leave many
applicants at a loss for how to convert their (patent-encumbered)
video to that format.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM, alex <alex_at_lurk.org> wrote:
> If you'd like to see ogg included in future years, I think it is worth
> dropping Pierre a friendly note to that effect, and he'll make
> recommendations accordingly.  Despite not agreeing with him, I found
> him communicative and honest.  I'm sure he'd take such mails
> seriously.

Okay, I did... despite just being a random lurker unaffiliated with
ICMC or TOPLAP. ;)

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/