Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:38:27 +0000

On 21 January 2010 17:33, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Back then you had Amiga's, Atari's, Apple's, IBM compatibles and more. IBM
> went open and now only Apple survives of the others and these days Apple is
> basically selling IBM-compatibles as well, proudly advertising that you
> could run Windows if you'd like. Trying to make incompatible desktops turned
> out to be a very bad strategy indeed.

The slope just got more slippery:
  http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/FCKEditorFiles//iPad_Keyboard.jpg

It looks to me like Apple are having another crack at it, and I don't
see why they should fail... I never really got the conceptual
difference between a 'phone' and a 'computer', and if there is one,
apple are blurring it here.

That said, it looks like a great device, and although on one hand FSF
style free software is banished from the ipad, as are the dynamic
interpreters much beloved by live coders, on the other hand it
provides us with a marketplace full of hungry consumers, which
empowers developers by allowing them to be profit-making content
generators firmly embedded in the entertainment industry. I can fully
understand the cognitive dissonance...

http://yaxu.org/