Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:33:41 +0100

Alex;

Sure it's great if innovations reach the FLOSS communities. The
> danger is though that Apple's model is taken up by all the other
> megaliths and we end up with a whole bunch of GPLd code and no
> hardware to run it on. It's the norm with portable music players,
> it's happening with phones and it can surely happen on the desktop
> too.

I'd be more worried if they hadn't already tried doing that on the desktop.
They did, back when we'd have livecoding performances in bedrooms with code
like;

10 print "Alex is crazy"
20 goto 10

to (admittedly small) shouting audiences.

Back then you had Amiga's, Atari's, Apple's, IBM compatibles and more. IBM
went open and now only Apple survives of the others and these days Apple is
basically selling IBM-compatibles as well, proudly advertising that you
could run Windows if you'd like. Trying to make incompatible desktops turned
out to be a very bad strategy indeed.

Kas.

PS; did anyone shout as loudly at Nick's generative insults in SC as they
did back in the days of those two lines of BASIC? Clearly we are doing
something wrong!