Re: [livecode] generating random MIDI events

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:00:34 +0000

> Evan;
>> Who gives a s*** about MIDI these days?

Not me until recently, when I wanted to trigger something over the
dssi api, which is basically MIDI over OSC. It made me sad.

2010/1/26 Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>:
> Why do 3GHz
> Pentiums have trouble keeping pace with with a set of lowly 80-200MHz
> dedicated DSP's under some conditions? Why do some people still need to
> solder up CMOS chips and op-amps?

Yep, in terms of response times, arduino i/o is much faster than 1394...

I pointed at this computing needs time paper before, but didn't really
say what it was about I don't think:
  http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2009/EECS-2009-30.pdf

It makes the point nicely that the mathematical forces behind computer
science have tried hard to abstract time away from computation. This
really sucks for embedded systems, as the paper concludes, but also
sucks for the time based art that we're trying to make. I guess this
is why getting jack to work at all is so painful, why those endless
linux audio layers keep getting added on top of one another to try to
reach some invisible, unobtainable goal, why those multimedia
performances have to work painful latency in their computer vision and
special effects into their aesthetic, and why getting any two bits of
software to do clean timesync isn't a totally solved problem in
computer music...

It doesn't really explain the MIDI inertia though. I once picked up a
book called 'beyond midi' and it seemed full of MIDI
reimplementations. Viva OSC!

http://yaxu.org/