Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: Michal Seta <mis_at_artengine.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:37:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Julian Rohrhuber
<rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> I am stll surprised that open source an be closed just by such an
> arrangement. It is still the very same code. Can you licence the same code
> as GPL and as something else simultaneously?

The core Pd (a.k.a. pd-vanilla) uses BSD license. The only thing that
is not BSD and is distributed with Pd-vanilla is the [expr] class.
[expr] is GPL and this is the reason why it cannot be part of RjDj.
rjlib, however, which is basically a collection of abstractions
(reusable pd patches in Pdesque talk, for those who don't know) and
those are GPL and can be used in other contexts, are downloadable and
I am sure that those who develop them will be happy to accept
contributions.

What is unclear to me is the use of RjDj scenes. The ones I have
actually opened do not have licensing information and I wonder what
kind of licensing is offered with the scenes that one has to pay for.
Considering that in order to even get them off the iThing to your
computer your device needs to be jailbroken, which I guess violates
some terms of Apple's license to begin with, it is a bit of a gray
zone.

Furthermore, RjDj scenes can only be distributed via rjdj.me domain
but I think that this is a limitation imposed by Apple. RjDj team, in
good faith, has provided the tools and instructions for using one's
own network as a proxy to upload scenes to the device which, is
indispensable to the scene developers.

./MiS