Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: Rob Myers <rob_at_robmyers.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:29:40 -0500

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:09:32 +0000, Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 12:58 +0100, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
>> I am stll surprised that open source an be closed just by such an
>> arrangement. It is still the very same code. Can you licence the same
>> code as GPL and as something else simultaneously?
>
> If you are the original author and have consent for everyone who has
> contributed in the past, I believe this is fine. This is why in RJDJ's
> case they need to carefully control who is working on it.
>
> That's how I understand it anyway.

Yes that's how it works. You have to have the rights in order to be able
to licence them. It's why dual licenced projects like MySQL require
copyright assignments for example.

But sharing code is no good if you aren't free to build and run it.
Tivoised systems like the iPhone and the App Store get in the way of your
freedom to use software, not the other way around...

- Rob.