Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:54:33 +0100

Alex;

  Relatedly I just
> learned that ChucK as well as PD have commercial iphone ports (rjdj
> and smule), so I guess neither can accept patches to their GPLd code
> without forking

Well, the core of ChucK is by Ge and he also co-heads Smule so I see no
issue there as such. It's his code, he can license it as "ChucK" (with other
parts, such as the STK) under the GPL while also using parts of it
commercially in Smule at the same time. I find it hard to imagine that Smule
ported all of ChucK to the iPhone as that wouldn't make any sense if you
just need sections, for one thing ChucK is a Turing-complete programming
language and Apple made it quite clear they don't want that kind of thing on
their system.

I don't see why ChucK couldn't take patches to it's GPL-ed code at all (if
we couldn't we'd have a very serious issue indeed). I believe we should be
able to patch the source in any way we'd like, provided we stick to
the applicable licenses. The subject of Smule has come up on the ChucK-list
and Ge made it very clear that this didn't mean he was any less behind FLOSS
ideals as far as ChucK goes. I also fail to see how this patent relates to
Smule at all as I don't think any of Smule's products use any of those
features.

Ge is one of the most considerate people I have had the fortune of getting
to know online and while over the years I've been quite vocal in pointing
out mistakes he made (in the form of bug reports) I find it very hard to
imagine this would be one of those.

Yours,
Kas.