Re: [livecode] ixi lang

From: thor <th.list_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:08:44 +0100

On 5 Oct 2009, at 10:15, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:

> Yes, these are most interesting and perhaps also slightly harder to
> communicate. I think it is an interesting discussion still to what
> degree text remains the center of programming, even when for some
> reason

It's interesting in this context that probably the only commonly used
visual programming
languages are indeed used for sound (Pd and Max). I can't think of a
visual programming
language in such common use for non-musical tasks.

> (I'm not sure yet why actually) spatial approaches are considered
> more intuitive for sound.

Maybe because the _origins_ of sound are very spatial. The location of
your finger on the string,
the length of the pipe and the layout of the holes in flutes. The
spatial nature of the piano keyboard.
The location of the drums, etc.

Thus whenever we try to make systems to write music, they become
spatial, not textual.
(or do we have any musical score writing language that is purely
textual? - for humans
that is).