Re: [livecode] computation

From: Andrew C. Smith <andrewchristophersmith_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:44:01 -0400

> I'm wondering if other people are
> thinking similar ideas?

My idea was actually just to make a velocity-sensitive keyboard that
changes the font size constantly. It could make for some really
interesting visuals.

Honestly, though, I don't think it necessarily has to be "exciting"--I
prefer Steve Reich's idea that the process is the music, and should be
present rather than hidden. The difficulty, of course, is in thinking
of the right process.

Which is why I liked Alex's abstract: if we take Reich's "Piano Phase"
as an example, we have a series of immediately-recognizable symbols
(the pentatonic scale-degrees), and a very simple time-related
process, yet the physical (and sonic, which is physical) effects of
this process are undeniable, as the phasing pianos are turned into
strange polyrhythms by our brains. It's this idea that something lives
two lives as both a symbol and a physical event, and rather than
hiding the "written trace" of the symbol we instead project it onto a
wall. The next essay will be Livecoding with Jacques Derrida.

Could go on, about La Monte Young or Harry Partch and their tuning
systems somewhere between symbols and physical events. Not that this
is the basis or the goal of livecoding, because it's different for
everyone, but for me (livecoding in my apartment) it works as a good
starting point.

Andrew