Re: [livecode] jodi: My Desktop OS X 10.4.7 (2007)

From: <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:45:57 +0100

I have to say I saw jodi do a performance on an old black powerbook (os9
or so) when i was talking at sonic acts in amsterdam a few years ago.

It was one of the best performances I'd ever seen.
Dirk basically had sounds turned on for every interface action on the
machine and then played it like he was some sort of disturbed alien just
sweeping the mouse around, trying to delete everything, duplicating
folders until it crashed, typing mental wrong long filenames and so on.
The machine even got restarted several time due to the way he was
spamming the keys. People were really freaked out. They just didnt know
what to make of it, especially after most of the other shows were super
controlled raster noton types. it didnt take long for the system sounds
to lose all context and just be part of some chaotic flow of noises.

I've lots of respect for jodi as I think their work is very close to the
machine in a way lots of artists just dont do...

In a similar vein i have a video of theirs called 'all wrongs reversed'
which is essentially a recording of joan writing and exectuing simple
spectrum basic that draws simple/silly shapes. The whole process is
played back in reverse though. Theres something willfully arcane and
nostalgic about it, which i love, but i cant see it appealing to many
people.

Tom Betts
www.nullpointer.co.uk
www.odessadesign.co.uk