Re: [livecode] figure / ground

From: Jeff Rose <jeff_at_rosejn.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:48:07 +0200

If you haven't read them I think you will greatly enjoy Douglas
Hofstadter's [1] books: Godel, Escher, Bach and his recent one, I am a
Strange Loop.

The first being one of the most enjoyable, fascinating, and at times
difficult to grok, books on earth. In it he explores this general idea
of self-recursive loops from many, many different perspectives.
Including in musical form, formal mathematical systems, cognitive
science, and art. The second is from much later in his career, working
mostly as a cognitive scientist, and it focuses on this self recursive
component of perception and consciousness. Also a good read, but I
would absolutely go for GEB first if you haven't read it.

 From a more CS point of view, people have been working on recursive
neural networks for years, which is a programmatic model depicting
exactly this duality of perception and cognition. Another really great
read that gets into this kind of programmatic model of intelligence and
perception is On Intelligence, by Jeff Hawkins. He is a programmer and
the founder of Palm computing, but his hobby is neuroscience, so it's
kind of "your brain from a computer geeks perspective." It's pretty
well respected by my neuroscience/AI buddies, but it's a very accessible
read even for someone with zero neuroscience background.

-Jeff

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Hofstadter