[livecode] figure / ground

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:30:09 +0100

Hi all,

I've got a question for the philosophers among us...

When we hear music we perceive rhythm in terms of meter, and infer
meter from the rhythm. When we hear a sound we perceive it in terms
of the instrument that made it, and infer the instrument from the
sound. When we see a figure in a picture we perceive it in terms of
the ground behind it, and infer the ground from the figure. We
understand a linguistic statement in terms of a metaphorical
structure, which we infer from the statement. When we have a
conversation we build perceive words in terms of the person who says
it, and build a picture of the person in terms of the words they say.

This seems to be a general structure of experience -- perceiving
something in terms of underlying structure which inferred by the
something you're perceiving. I think this must be something that
philosophers have thought about, psychologists too. Does it have a
name? What should I read to understand it better?

Cheers

http://yaxu.org/