Re: [livecode] Livecoding in Paris

From: Andrew C. Smith <andrewchristophersmith_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:31:47 -0400

Hm, as I recall there are tons of hotkeys (but maybe that's just Max5)
where you can hit a single letter to create a message box, new object,
whatever. Of course, you have to click a lot too, but I'd venture
that the time taken in hitting cmd+n and typing "cycle 440" or
something then clicking twice is a negligible difference to
SinOsc.ar(440). Also, you have a ready-made GUI to control what
you're doing, and I'm sure that has instant appreciation from the
audience. Add to that the auto-complete feature, and it can't be that
much slower. Unless you've been SuperColliding for so long that you
forgot how to click.

Hm, I'm thinking about the whole exprand(10,1000)!do features of SC,
though, and it seems like there's an advantage there. I think the
real breakthrough to Max live coding will be when people start using
javascript to instantiate new Max objects and connect them
algorithmically. Partly because the visual effect would be so cool,
to see boxes flying around the screen and reproducing themselves.

Andrew