Re: [livecode] toplap on bbc website

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:16:17 +0200

>2009/8/29 Julian Rohrhuber
><<mailto:rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
>
>yes you did a great job - it must be hard to get around this
>atmosphere of accusation. We should simple say it: "live coding
>exists." (and it is not as unusual as you think)
>

> I think it's quite interesting really... you are right that there
>us a atmosphere of accusation; I saw that myself quite often as
>well. The odd thing is that it never gets clear exactly what we are
>accused of. To me the vague accusations of elitism, of a lack of
>musicality and so on look a bit like a smoke-screen.
>
>I suspect that what is going on is that some people react to this
>concept with "Wow, this is really strange and a bit far-fetched, I
>have no idea how to deal with it so I'll reject it" while others
>respond with "Wow, this is really strange and a bit far-fetched,
>I'll try it for myself". I know that that's how I myself responded
>initially. Of course quickly afterwards it all seems surprisingly
>sensible, not all that strange and you end up looking at a advanced
>arpegiator with regret that you can't simply use a small function
>instead of tweaking tens of badly labeled settings.
>
>I think we indeed need the equivalent of some pop bands; guitar
>feedback is now normal and expected while there are still plenty of
>people that will find a prepared piano very odd. Sorry, guys, but
>evidently there is a need for door-sized posters of Slub and AA-Cell
>to adorn teenager bedrooms, then there will have to be artistic
>disputes, followed by trying solo careers and finally rumours of
>drug habits. If Powerbooks Unplugged could start practicing close
>harmony, please? Oh, and don't forget to mention that your touring
>schedule leaves no time for a partner in all interviews, that's
>always very important.
>
>I'm sorry, but it's for a good cause.

My speculation would be the following: we are living in a time where
knowledge and elitism are considered to come together. Anything that
appears to have to do with the formal-mathematical is associated with
the elite, and for many people a considerable fear of it from school
remains; therefore programming is typically framed in the sense of
necessary, but eventually uninteresting means, and not something to
be exposed. Once it is exposed, all these accusations - nerdiness,
showing off, elitism come up. Personally, I find that projecting code
is good, because it is an act of resistance against exactly the
connection between (formal) knowledge and elitism, by showing that it
can simply be done and enjoyed. Take the latent fear away from people
that not understanding will give them low grades. I would try though
to avoid any claims of authenticity, of more complete access, the
"real" machine etc., for theoretical reasons, but also simply because
it gives substance to a lot of these accusations.

--
.