Re: [livecode] toplap on bbc website

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:32:13 +0200

2009/8/29 Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>

> yes you did a great job - it must be hard to get around this atmosphere of
> accusation. We should simple say it: "live coding exists." (and it is not as
> unusual as you think)

 I think it's quite interesting really... you are right that there us a
atmosphere of accusation; I saw that myself quite often as well. The odd
thing is that it never gets clear exactly what we are accused of. To me the
vague accusations of elitism, of a lack of musicality and so on look a bit
like a smoke-screen.

I suspect that what is going on is that some people react to this concept
with "Wow, this is really strange and a bit far-fetched, I have no idea how
to deal with it so I'll reject it" while others respond with "Wow, this is
really strange and a bit far-fetched, I'll try it for myself". I know that
that's how I myself responded initially. Of course quickly afterwards it all
seems surprisingly sensible, not all that strange and you end up looking at
a advanced arpegiator with regret that you can't simply use a small function
instead of tweaking tens of badly labeled settings.

I think we indeed need the equivalent of some pop bands; guitar feedback is
now normal and expected while there are still plenty of people that will
find a prepared piano very odd. Sorry, guys, but evidently there is a need
for door-sized posters of Slub and AA-Cell to adorn teenager bedrooms, then
there will have to be artistic disputes, followed by trying solo careers and
finally rumours of drug habits. If Powerbooks Unplugged could start
practicing close harmony, please? Oh, and don't forget to mention that your
touring schedule leaves no time for a partner in all interviews, that's
always very important.

I'm sorry, but it's for a good cause.

:-p
Kas.