Re: [livecode] news in brief

From: Chris McCormick <chris_at_mccormick.cx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:32:23 +0100

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:55:35AM +0100, alex wrote:
> It's all here, feel free to quote it or bits of it:
> http://yaxu.org/patterns-of-movement-in-live-languages/

Really enjoyed reading this post; thought provoking!

> I see concepts (and meaning) as
> spatial structures in a brain, and language and music as communication
> between two brains in order to allow those spatial structures to
> become more alike.

So music and language are basically a serialised form of the original in-brain
graph structure.

> I think I'd try to make more or less the same music with a sequencer as I
> would with a computer language, but would get there quicker with the computer
> language. I don't really see why one is more conceptual than the other, but
> I think I have a different definition of 'conceptual' in mind to you. I
> wonder though if sound is a better medium for musical concepts than code.

I think an important difference is that not all sequencers would be turing
complete, which means that it's mathematically provable that you can do things
with live-coding/computer languages that you can't do at all with traditional
electronic instruments like sequencers.

> I still think that putting it on an audience to read and understand a
> computer program being written, while trying to listen to the music it
> is generating, is expecting too much. An audience is there to be
> entertained. That said I'm all for participatory music where everyone
> takes part and there is no audience. But then everyone is probably
> writing their own code and not reading each others, unless you are
> using a powerbooks unplugged multiuser chat style coding framework.

As someone who is very new to the actual act of livecoding, the participatory
and social elements of it are what excite me the most. I have some vapourware
brewing [partially implemented, but not ready for release] using the Google
Mobwrite protocol <http://code.google.com/p/google-mobwrite/> which will allow
multiple people to livecode in the same text document simultaneously. I really
need to get some kind of proof-of-concept released, and would love to hear if
anyone is interested in collaborating on this. Will be at the London event on
the 5th and happy to chat. :)

Best,

Chris.

http://mccormick.cx