[livecode] Live code annotation

From: nescivi <nescivi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:56:36 -0500

Hiho,

one of the remarks I got back from my friends watching me livecode (one of
them never dealing with code himself, nor having experience with the concept
of livecoding as an audience member), was that they missed some kind of
explanation of what different things mean, that is in the code.

So, I started thinking about how to address this problem, to make the code
more understandable, by giving the audience a little explanation of different
functions. Of course, since livecoding in itself is work enough, this would
have to be some kind of automatic thing.

I'm thinking of a kind of prepocessor which looks at the code you send out to
the interpreter or virtual machine, and scans for class and method names,
looks up the helpfile and prints a short description from that helpfile (if
the helpfile has been set up nicely, this is probably the first sentence).
The result could go to another window than the post window, so it doesn't
clutter up your own feedback.

Then of course you can make the algorithm clever and make sure that stuff that
has recently been explained (within the last minute or two), is not explained
again; but maybe like 20 minutes into the performance, especially if you did
not use the function for a while, is explained again. (AdC and me wrote a
class for something similar in SuperCollider called Memory, which would be
quite useful for this, I think).

What do you think of this idea?

sincerely,
Marije