Re: [livecode] projection issues

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:52:19 +0200

Jim,

> My figuring is that they don't want to run wires to the middle of a room or
> adjust the set up. I would just take one and tell them it is needed for the
> piece and that you have to have one so are bringing it yourself.

This is roughly what I figured I was for a moment concerned about how to
put the projector up on a high location but figured tables and chairs are
available everywhere and of course there is tape. That should work. Perhaps
I can steal, borrow or press-gang a screen as well.

I had good experiences with restructuring half the room in various places by
first lending a hand with some minor things, then once people got used to me
walking around with stuff moving on to restructuring a lot of other things
as well; people will assume that too is proper (unless of course you have a
big pro place with clearly defined tasks but in such places there is also
typically less of a need to move a lot of stuff either). Basically the exact
same thing as with audio, it's just that I don't have a lot of experience
setting up video.

Mantra;

I don't think so. This is a festival that runs all through the city and
covers a lot of places and stages. This place for this night is presented by
the label I'm on and I'd be really surprised if anybody gave lighting much
thought, if somebody actually did I'm quite sure it could simply be switched
off for my part.

I'm in a bit of a weird spot here because this festival is supposed to be
about -well- "Today's Art" and some of it is (installations, experimental
performances, etc) but a lot of it is also simply modern dance music, if
edging towards the less mainstream. Of course live electronic dance music is
also "today's art" and intirely valid as such but you can also go see that
any weekend you'd like and have since the early 90's or so. I felt that
there should be more of a link between the two or at the very least
contribute my bit to closing that gap so if I'm tasked with "doing something
with ambient techno at the start of the night" livecoding seemed like a
natural fit... but now I seem to have ended up with a place that doesn't
seem particularly concerned with needs beyond "a table, power and a cable to
the PA"... and now I was getting a bit woried.

The removal of cyborg body parts doesn't sound like a especially painless
operation.

;¬)
Kas.