Re: [livecode] Application for TOPLAP seal of approval.

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:16:07 +0200

2008/7/28 luc van Weelden <luc.vanweelden_at_gmail.com>

> go kas!
> i'll be there!!

Cool!

> (um..if your not taking that cyborg body, i'd be interested)

Yes... well.... I have to say that I was just wondering what the "TOPLAP
lawyer" intended to do with my old body. And here I was thinking that in
livecoding people were supposed to be after one's mind... :¬p

Speaking of bodies and livecoding (warning, wild tangent will follow);

Some time ago I saw a installation at a exhibit of work by media technology
students from Leiden (it was and still may be at the Rotterdam museum of
photography). The installation consisted of a arcade cabinet and a helmet.
The helmet made it impossible for the wearer to see and was equipped with
headphones. The headphones gave instructions (move forward, turn left, etc)
based on command input on the cab's joystick and was equipped with a video
camera, the image of which was displayed on the cab's screen. The kicker was
in the "fire" button and the water-gun with which the helmet-wearer was to
be outfittted. This was supposed to investigate guilt and responcibility but
nobody seemed to feel especially guilty, probably due to the hot weather.

Anyway, it struck me that if you can do that you could also make the
commands be synthesised by a livecoding system instead of a joystick. Such a
system could get it's input from a set of sensors (pressure seems especially
interesting but it might also be cool to analyise sound and make people
dance to music they can't themselves hear). This would basically "open up" a
representation of the central nervous system.

Of course this would require a lot of turst on the part of the wearer of
such equipment but that might be solvable to some degree by recruiting
somebody with a masochist streak (I often get the impression that's quite
common amongst programmers...), trading places with the programmer for the
next performance and/or a padded overall.

Cheers,
Kas.