Re: [livecode] more vocable synthesis

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:24:20 +0100

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 12:04 +0200, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
> could it be that geometry is only a way to think about thinking?

Yes it could be that geometry is one way to think among many.

> because we are used to organise our thoughts in maplike ways, we take
> this practice as a model for thought itself? I see though that
> "thought itself" may not exist. But what abous thinking in sound? It
> seems to me that sound is not geometrical.

I think we compose and perceive sound in geometrical space. We choose
sounds close to each other or far apart. This distance is similarity,
across the dimensions of timbre that we are focusing on
(graininess/distortion/pitch/whatever).

Synths tend to have continuous controllers for controlling the sound,
trying to give us something like a dimension of perception to tweak.

The Klee Sequencer is a counter-example...
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35ZpxBg_Ao

alex