Re: [livecode] live coding and free software - feedback rqrd

From: evan.raskob [lists] <lists_at_lowfrequency.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:02:07 +0100

It's an interesting point, and certainly worth looking into. I think
this touches on the language of performance, a subject which has a
long and interesting history (but which I am definitely not qualified
to discuss at length). For example, I enjoy operas, but have no
idea what people are saying most of the time. Same for French hip
hop, or Russian alt-rock, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate
it. The language you code in is important, whether its FLOSS or not
is a side point. For example, It'd be interesting to see someone
livecoding in a non-Western language like Mandarin, and possibly not
much different than watching them code in a proprietary programming
language that I had no access to. Personally, I wouldn't mix FLOSS
with livecoding discussions, because they feel like completely
different subjects. Would you discuss with Picasso how much he paid
for his brush? Or Da Vinci? Doubtful, because its besides the point
of their work. From an anthropological or documentary or personal
standpoint, however, I can understand, but I always wind up
livecoding in MaxMSPJitter and it certainly didn't cost me $10K and
it's widely available, so why not?

Alex: the concept of "sourcecode feedback" is fascinating... the
computer commenting in the course code itself, as a conversation with
the user? tantalizing. i can imagine the day when my Processing app
adds itself as the author of a function in the javadoc, and leaves
the comment "you really fucked this up, so i'm taking over; love, the
machine"