Re: [livecode] syntax free

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:01:38 +0100

On 06/03/2008, Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org> wrote:

> This was the point of betablocker - any sequence of it's 30 or so
> instructions is legal and runnable.
>
> It doesn't make the code easier to read or understand though - quite the
> opposite :)

At least that does save you the situation where you have to shout at the
parser "Yes, that *is* perfectly valid and you are wrong!".

:¬)

But yes, you are right, I very much enjoyed the point you made about
assembler and LISP while I was typing. Syntax, while restricting, is also
convenient. I think what Alex is after is a syntax that has most of the
traditional benefits of convenience as well as doing away with being
consciously aware of the restrictions.

I have to say though that when my Nord Modular editor refuses to plug a
certain cable into a given socket that usually means I made a mistake. In
practice that speeds up the process of expressing what I want to express and
doesn't strike me as being needlessly restrictive.... but the NM probably
leads to less "hey... that's cool too" moments then Betablocker.

Kas.