Re: [livecode] gamepad programming

From: nescivi <nescivi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:12:14 -0500

Hiho,

On Thursday 03 January 2008 14:25:11 Martin Ahnelöv wrote:
> Imagine a equally slow gameplay with programmable robots. Not so fun to
> come home from work and see a pile of non-working harvest bots just
> because you were refining their algorithm's while you were drunk the
> night before, eh ? :-P

catching up late on this thread, but this gives me the occasion to post this
note I've had on my desktop for a while now...

two robot programming games that are just one apt-get away from you... (both
are in the Debian repository).

Here are the descriptions:

"RealTimeBattle is a programming game in which robots controlled by programs
are fighting each other. The goal is to destroy the enemies, using the
radar to examine the environment and the cannon to shoot.

Robot programs can be written in any language, all communication
with the main program is done via stdout/stdin.

-----------
control mobile robots in this programmer's game
Before the game starts, each player writes an assembler-like
program which has to decide for itself later on, in order to win
the game. The pieces on the chess-like field are robots, which
have the abilities to move, multiply, exchange program code etc.
The goal is to put the other players' robots out of action while
staying functional yourself.

RoboCom is not a military game! There is nothing like weapons: the
only way to influence another robot is to transfer program code.
And that makes it particularly interesting. The programming
language is easy to learn, however it provides an amazingly wide
spectrum of different strategies, which are all successful in
another way.

 Homepage: http://www.cyty.com/robocom/
"

sincerely,