Re: [livecode] gamepad programming

From: Martin Ahnelöv <operagasten_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:25:11 +0100

tor 2008-01-03 klockan 18:42 +0000 skrev Dave Griffiths:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:19 +0000, tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk wrote:
> > Hey its me .. the quite one again :)
> >
> > I love this shit and Ive always liked daves connection to games and
> > gaming as a performance style medium.
> >
> > So just to add a little to this thread...
> >
> > http://www.thinkinggames.co.uk/content/?p=167
> > A post i wrote on my research blog about the gambits system in ff12
> > Loosely connected to
> > http://www.thinkinggames.co.uk/content/?p=165
> > http://www.thinkinggames.co.uk/content/?p=158
> > on using macro script programming tools like 'glider'
> > to create botting scripts for mmorpgs
> > I love this sort of programming intervention and the way they have to do
> > stuff like pixel picking to check health levels etc.. ace
> > its been a recent hobby of mine to follow and identify botters.
> > Been doing quite a bit of research in the area etc..
> >
> > and on a slight older but associated tip
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Of_Babel_(computer_game)
> > was a programming game i loved as a kid.
>
> That one is new on me - and I had an amiga :(
> Looks great though.
>
> > and of course the obvious candidate
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crobots
>
> I played this a lot - I learnt C doing that actually :)
> I was never very good at it though.
>
> > But you are right in terms of there being few modern examples
> > TBH some of the processes created by players in current mmos
> > is often equivalent to programming. WoW has frequently clamped down on
> > the penetration of its lua based scripting system to avoid exploits that
> > could practically automate complex systems ingame.
>
> It's a shame that it seems there is a limit to the depth that they can
> expose. I guess it's to be expected, but I hope that we get to the point
> where it's done as a more central feature.

It would be fun to see a game like DarkWorld[1] with very slow action. I
mean really slow - it's a game about colonising solar systems and battle
enemy fractions. Most of the time it takes a couple of hours to just
probe nearby planets, and _days_ to probe nearby solarsystems.

Imagine a equally slow gameplay with programmable robots. Not so fun to
come home from work and see a pile of non-working harvest bots just
because you were refining their algorithm's while you were drunk the
night before, eh ? :-P

[1] http://darkworld.sourceforge.net/

Gasten