Re: [livecode] code taunts

From: LowNorth <lownorth_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:33:12 +0100

Hi Kassen

In a way this paper is about a personal search of yours and I think I'd
> recommend placing more emphasis on that.

perhaps, but the danger in taking that stance is that it might deter people
from accepting it as a topic for discussion. Something which really puts me
off when reading papers is when the author hides behind a kind of "yeah, but
of course this is all just my personal view so you can't criticize me"
defense.

The section linked to note [6], sorry, I can't easily copy-paste from the
> PDF. You talk about Owen Hart jr. That quote could be used to illustrate the
> benefits of both competition and duets, depending on how you see it.

ah, I see. But what I believe Timuçin was referring to is that playing with
Owen is not at all like being part of a duet. They're more like sparring
partners in a kickboxing gym.

> It could also be read as you trying to actually use those snails as
> saying something about people. If we'd take that line of reasoning seriously
> we may need a ban on salty food (if I can exaggerate for a second).

I use the snail example as evidence that competition in general can have a
positive effect on fitness and survivability of individual entities. Humans
are also part of nature and are prone to the same basic physical and
evolutionary forces, no? I'm not comparing humans to snails, but drawing a
parallel between competition as an evolutionary force in nature and in human
endeavors.

It *does* work nicely. While we're at it, the one real downside of your
> format as I see it is that the pressure in combination with the short bouts
> seems to encourage presenting pre-cooked ideas and "quick tricks".

here I can fall back on the jazz paradigm: on a bad day even the best jazz
improvisor will fall back on licks he's played before. It's the pressure of
knowing that the audience will see through this charade that encourages him
not to do that too often. A sharp live coding audience should see through
that as well. And in my experience it's true that when the pressure's on you
fall back on things you know. But I'm not sure that's a bad thing; however
memorizing an exact sequence of coding and reproducing it verbatim onstage
would not be desirable (even though it could be a good exercise).

Marcel