Re: [livecode] code taunts

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:30:18 +0100

>Hi Julian
>
>thanks for the note, I was a big unsure about including that line so
>I'm going to have to defend it a bit better.
>
>Folk psychology is no joke, it is in fact taken seriously by some
>philosophers as a means of drawing relevant conclusions about an
>individual's behaviour.

Yes, exactly because folk psychology is such a well known term, it is
a term that one cannot use as an authority (there is so much
divergent accounts of it). It is a bit like saying
"philosophers/scientists say that X" without mentioning whose theory
it is. So I meant by "joke" not folk psychology, but the affirmative
attitude toward such highly disputed concepts like competition,
stress and a "prospering of individuality".

>(Daniel Dennett's comments about thermostats come to mind). However
>the Churchlands have spent a great deal of energy trying to
>discredit it, calling it "a stagnant and degenerating research
>program"

Yes, I think it may be good to at least acknowledge that taking such
points of view you take a very strong and specific political (I would
say: "right wing") attitude. I don't know if this is intended, or
even necessary.

btw, thanks for sharing the paper!

--
.