Re: [livecode] code taunts

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:33:54 +0100

Hi, Marcel!

> I would like very much if we could go into the discussion further, but I
> think it would be useful if the interested parties would read my article and
> respond to what's written there:
> http://kmt.hku.nl/~marcel/LiveCodingArticleDRAFT/<http://kmt.hku.nl/%7Emarcel/LiveCodingArticleDRAFT/><http://kmt.hku.nl/%7Emarcel/LiveCodingArticleDRAFT/>
>
> (because it's still a draft I wasn't planning to make it broadly public
> yet, but what the heck...)
>
> looking forward to debate...

I think your paper covers a lot of very interesting ground but agree it
could use some tweaks. One thing that stood out to me is your explanation of
how you arrived at the idea of using competition to engage the audience. You
go from describing the Barcelona event (in a way I would agree with Nick is
exaggeratedly one-sided and perhaps too partial for a paper) to concluding
the issue with leaving audience members was a lack of understanding of the
code.

While this may have been a important factor and could indeed be a important
factor in all livecoding events we don't know this to be true. Many other
factors could have affected this, such as a breakup in the overall flow of
the performance as Ge recompiled ChucK.... etc.

I'm not saying you aren't right; I wasn't there but I do think this
conclusion merits more attention
 and care as it seems quite fundamental to the structure of your paper and
indeed to the whole question below it.

Your note on this Jazz drummer and his influence on other performers was
quite interesting but I think this supports the suggestion I made earlier
about duets at least as much as your own stance on competition so perhaps
including a note in that vein would be relevant.

Stylistically I'm not too sure about the relative emphasis on analogies and
examples like the snails. Those are interesting for sure but I might elect
to keep it more focussed myself. That would be up to you, of course. I
almost feel bad about criticising writing style here when the topic itself
could be partially be seen as a celebration of writing style... but you
asked for feedback.

You covered a lot more then this and I read it only once so far, I think
it's interesting enough to return to later if you'd like me to. It's a good
topic and I think you are making some strong points but it could use some
care.

I hope this was of some use to you, I intended this criticism as trying to
be helpful, not as competing. Apologies for that. ;¬)

Yours,
Kas.