Re: [livecode] code taunts

From: Andrew Sorensen <andrew_at_moso.com.au>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:34:43 +1000

For me this gets to the crux of the matter (short quote from article)

"It is unrealistic to expect a completely uninformed audience to
remain attentive for 30 minutes of live coding"

The massive caveat here for me would be - if the only thing of
interest is the code itself. In other words if the music/visuals are
not compelling enough to stand alone then people with no interest in
the code are obviously going to lose interest. In fact I would
strongly argue that even the people who do understand the code will
quickly lose interest.

Of course in live coding the process matters, why else would we all
bother to do it. I would assume that on this list one wouldn't need
to say so. I think Alex may have been saying the same thing I'm about
to.

> Ade, Dave and I met in a pub and livecoded together earlier this week.
> There wasn't an audience, but we were still livecoding.

Live coding doesn't have to be primarily about displaying the code, it
is also a way of making sound/visuals, a new style of performance
practice - with or without projecting code to an audience. For me
displaying the code is as much a credentials issue as a communications
issue. It's about letting the audience know that something is being
created just for them - in the moment. It can also be about making
the code an explicit part of the work - visually as well as
communicatively. For those that do understand the code fantastic - we
all love to discuss our work with colleagues but to engage in a
performance practice that does not allow for engagement with non-
experts seems misguided. It's also worth pointing out that there are
two kinds of colleagues for our work that do not necessarily overlap -
musicians and programmers. Maybe we tend to forget that musicians/
visual artists/designers need to be engaged as well as programmers.
I'm certainly guilty of this!! This is what I was trying to get at
earlier - if live coding is only about engaging with programmers then
maybe using music/visuals is just a cheap trick?

I should clarify that I don't think there is a correct answer here.
Obviously there are many valid ways to livecode, but I do think it's
important to think about who the intended audience is (and who it
isn't) and why.

AS