Re: [livecode] code taunts

From: LowNorth <lownorth_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:57:27 +0100

Hi Andrew

you wrote:

> The massive caveat here for me would be - if the only thing of interest is
> the code itself. In other words if the music/visuals are not compelling
> enough to stand alone then people with no interest in the code are obviously
> going to lose interest. In fact I would strongly argue that even the people
> who do understand the code will quickly lose interest.

I absolutely agree. What I'm looking for are still more ways to add
elements to the live coding concept which will appeal to a wider audience.
People love watching football matches, why not try to appeal to that part of
the human psyche? It seems to be working with the audiences I've had so far.

Of course in live coding the process matters, why else would we all bother
> to do it. I would assume that on this list one wouldn't need to say so. I
> think Alex may have been saying the same thing I'm about to.
>
> Ade, Dave and I met in a pub and livecoded together earlier this week.
> There wasn't an audience, but we were still livecoding.

On the train from Paris to Utrecht, Leo van der Veen and I sat across each
other and spent 2 hours doing 6 minute live coding competitions as practice
for the gig that night. It was absolutely invigorating. Last night I saw a
small group of people in a pub doing sudoko competitions. I felt that I
could relate in a very intimate way to the pleasure they found in that.

Live coding doesn't have to be primarily about displaying the code, it is
> also a way of making sound/visuals, a new style of performance practice -
> with or without projecting code to an audience. For me displaying the code
> is as much a credentials issue as a communications issue. It's about
> letting the audience know that something is being created just for them - in
> the moment.

Kim Cascone has some interesting things to say on this point, much of which
I agree with wholeheartedly. The authenticity of live performance with
electronics is something I try to emphasize in my own performances and
stimulate my students to think about.

I should clarify that I don't think there is a correct answer here.
> Obviously there are many valid ways to livecode, but I do think it's
> important to think about who the intended audience is (and who it isn't) and
> why.

halleluja!

Marcel