Re: [livecode] code taunts

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:31:41 +0000

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 03:56 +0100, Kassen wrote:
> My friend Rob Hordijk told me about working with Forth on a Apple
> around the same time, or slightly earlier, creating variations on
> Karplus Strong and composing for those in a way I would call closely
> related to livecoding except for the lack of a present audience.

After Julian, I'm in favour of not requiring an audience for live
coding. For me live-as-in-electricity is much more interesting than
live-as-in-stage.

Explaining live coding in terms of dynamic interpretation and timelines
(removing or hiding compile cycle so that programming is continuous) is
difficult, but is really the heart of the matter in my opinion.

Explaining live coding as "programming in front of an audience" is easy,
because all that dynamism is implicit in the relationship with the
audience. But in my experience the end result is misunderstanding.

Ade, Dave and I met in a pub and livecoded together earlier this week.
There wasn't an audience, but we were still livecoding.

Perhaps a compromise is to describe live coding as technology that
allows programmers to play (e.g.) music together. Of course solo live
coding is also perfectly possible but at least it shifts focus away from
a stage and towards the means of production.

alex