[livecode] Kung-Foo Bar: Unconventional Interfaces for LiveCoding

From: AlgoMantra <algomantra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 06:15:55 +0530

*Kung-Foo Bar: Unconventional Interfaces for LiveCoding
---------------------------- Jan 5-10, 2008---------------------------------
** Moderated by Dave Griffiths and 1/f )))**

*This is an online discussion, hosted at the LiveCode/TopLap mailing
list. It will be made available as a clean PDF document to all the
subscribers of this list and archived. DG and 1/f will not interfere
so much as provide an impetus for discourse and analysis. Just a
little formality in your mails would help us provide a cleaner
document at the end.

*Prologue*
We propose that the human body is capable of a larger repertoire of
movement than is allowed by the ubiquitous keyboards and the
Engelbart mice. It is understood that the act of livecoding pushes the
limits of this outdated interface for holy communion with your
microprocessor. Some assembly is still required...

In a few scattered hackerooms around the world, dedicated folk
are busy rewiring gamepads, hacking their new Wii-motes, cellphones,
webcams, and pretty much anything that can capture sensory data
and send signals to a computer. This opens a whole new universe
of interaction and discovery, coding and performance. This is a case
for writing a subroutine using your mandolin, and a case for
coding a symphony using a board of mahjong.

Here we share the strangest ("unconventional" is the key) ideas that
may come to your mind. This is not meant to be a repository of the
latest research (viz, papers) and interface products (e.g, monome, Arduino)
and hacks, but a source of new ideas that are a fresh document unto
themselves. You are encouraged to question the deepest notions about
 'livecoding' and 'interfacing', while staying rooted in the environment
of live performance.

Without further ado, I invite co-mod Dave G to seed the conversation with
his
thoughts. I also request Kassen and Desoumal to delight us with
their perspectives on this field. I am pretty sure this conversation is
relevant to almost all livecoders, who also happen to be one of the
most cutting edge group of performers anywhere on the planet.

The floor is also open to anyone who wishes to dive in first...........

take it away,
Jaipur, Rajasthan