Re: [livecode] Kung-Foo Bar: Unconventional Interfaces for LiveCoding

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:16:00 +0000

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 06:15 +0530, AlgoMantra wrote:
> Kung-Foo Bar: Unconventional Interfaces for LiveCoding
> ---------------------------- Jan 5-10,
> 2008---------------------------------
> Moderated by Dave Griffiths and 1/f )))
>
> This is an online discussion, hosted at the LiveCode/TopLap mailing
> list. It will be made available as a clean PDF document to all the
> subscribers of this list and archived. DG and 1/f will not interfere
> so much as provide an impetus for discourse and analysis. Just a
> little formality in your mails would help us provide a cleaner
> document at the end.
>
> Prologue
> We propose that the human body is capable of a larger repertoire of
> movement than is allowed by the ubiquitous keyboards and the
> Engelbart mice. It is understood that the act of livecoding pushes
> the
> limits of this outdated interface for holy communion with your
> microprocessor. Some assembly is still required...
>
> In a few scattered hackerooms around the world, dedicated folk
> are busy rewiring gamepads, hacking their new Wii-motes, cellphones,
> webcams, and pretty much anything that can capture sensory data
> and send signals to a computer. This opens a whole new universe
> of interaction and discovery, coding and performance. This is a case
> for writing a subroutine using your mandolin, and a case for
> coding a symphony using a board of mahjong.
>
> Here we share the strangest ("unconventional" is the key) ideas that
> may come to your mind. This is not meant to be a repository of the
> latest research (viz, papers) and interface products ( e.g, monome,
> Arduino)
> and hacks, but a source of new ideas that are a fresh document unto
> themselves. You are encouraged to question the deepest notions about
> 'livecoding' and 'interfacing', while staying rooted in the
> environment
> of live performance.

Just to add to this a little bit - I think I'm not completely off track
in saying that computer music is sometimes criticised for being too
cerebral. I think this can largely be blamed on the input method. None
of this is particularly new, I think Eno was saying this ten years ago,
"bring the muscles back to music" or something. Well maybe, ironically,
livecoding makes it possible to use a computer as a computer (rather
than a synthesiser in a different shaped box) and bring to a physical
level with a suitable language and hardware?

A lot of people tell me that al jazari looks fun because you could make
electronic music on it drunk. I think this is also incredibly important
somehow, but I haven't thought it through properly yet...

cheers,

dave